Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Labyrinth of Life

Last night, I traveled to Cleveland again to walk the Labyrinth at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. (Note to United Methodists-- we really gotta get us some cathedrals--but that's a post for another day!)

The labyrinth, for those who don't know, is a little like a maze, but very different from a maze. In a maze, you have to find the right path from one spot to another, while avoiding dead-ends and wrong turns. In the labyrinth, there is only one way in and one way out, and there are no dead-ends or wrong turns. You walk the same path in and out, and the labyrinth always leads to the same place--the center (sometimes called the rose).
The center of the labyrinth represents closeness to God, or the center of our souls, or whatever place you find yourself journeying towards.
The labyrinth at Trinity is based on the one at the Chartres Cathedral in France, and is open on Tuesday evenings from 6 p.m to 9 p.m.

This time, while walking the labyrinth, I had a revelation (I usually do). As I was walking towards the center, there was another man who was walking out from the center. At one point, though we were technically on different trajectories, we ended up walking side by side. This caused me to feel deep within my soul this truth--though we all walk on different paths, and sometimes find ourselves on different stages of our journeys through faith and life, we all walk side by side from time to time. This is what allows me, as a thirty year old kid, to walk beside my brothers and sisters who are much older than I am, and to be a pastor to people who could be my parents or grandparents. This is possible because we all take the same journey through life, and we meet each other along the way as fellow sojourners who can share in times of both joy and sadness.

Speaking of sadness, my heart grieves with the people of Virginia Tech this week. They were one of the subjects of one of my "rose prayers" at the center of the labyrinth. Pray for peace in their hearts and minds, and for a spirit of calm and safety to envelope that campus.

In nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, (look it up)

David

No comments: