Thursday, April 24, 2008

A First. . .

. . .for me, and for the General Conference.

This morning, I was one of many thousands who witnessed, for the first time ever, a "Young People's Address" to the General Conference. As I said to my roomate, Bob, this was the first time I have ever felt that someone was speaking for me at a General Conference. These amazing young people, from all around the world, spoke some of the hard truths that our church needs to hear--about ministry with young people, and ministry in general. I applaud them for having the bravery and the eloquence to bring this message to us. When the address comes online, I'll post a link here.

I served (for 6 1/2 hours) this morning, as a "stage page," which meant that my job was to look after the Bishops. This was easy for the first two hours, since the bishops were not there! They were sitting around the outside of the bar of the conference, so that they could participate in the Episcopal address, which focused on the theme of holy communion. It was an effective presentation, expertly executed by Bishop Sharon Brown Christopher. When she was finished, I had a piece of mail to deliver to her, and she had a distinctly relieved look on her face!

I spoke with Bishop Hopkins today, along with some of the other members of the East Ohio delegation, and have met several other very nice people. My fellow Pages and Marshals are some of the nicest people--I guess you have to be, in order to be able to tell people "no" with a smile on your face, as we have been occasionally called on to do.

One other thing-- pray for the safety of the Bishops. The stage on which they are seated has several different levels, and I had at least three Bishops almost land flat on their faces at my feet today. The last thing we want is a Bishop in a cast, or worse, in the hospital for something more serious. I made sure to say "please mind your step, Bishop," as often as I could remember!

God Bless everyone. Pray for me, as I go to serve soon in a Legislative Committee this evening.

Hope for the Future,

David

No comments: