Friday, April 25, 2008

A Quiet(er) Day.

Today was relatively quiet for me. We were able to sleep in, since our shift didn't start until 1:30 in the afternoon. I was slated to work the legislative committee on Higher Education and Ministry. The committee had broken up into sub groups in order to deal with the large load of petitions they had, so I was assigned to the sub committee dealing with Candidacy for ministry. They had an interesting discussion regarding the purpose of the candidacy process, and the "kinks" in the current process. I found it hard to: 1) not chime in on the discussion, and 2) not fall over, since my feet were killing me! I did get a chance to be useful, though, which gives me a sense of job satisfaction. I also got to see Valerie Stultz (my former D.S.), who is a member of the sub-committee.

During my off time this morning, I took a little walk around the downtown area of Fort Worth. It's a very nice city! There was a clean air festival downtown, which seemed fun. I stopped in a bookstore and had a cup of tea and a snack, and generally took in the sights and sounds of the city.

Dinner tonight was one of the highlights of the day--Angelo's Barbecue, which had real authentic atmosphere, and some really good food! If you ever get to Fort Worth, leave the downtown area and head for Angelo's.

People are beginning to buzz about what's happening to the various pieces of legislation coming before the committees and the conference. One thing I've noticed here in Fort Worth that was not evident in Cleveland is the distinct feeling that people actually want to have a civil discussion. Sure, there are nutters on both sides of every issue that want to have it their way or no way, but you'll have that. What I've observed on the part of the delegates this year is a concerted effort to make sure that everyone's voice is heard, that fairness takes precedence over politics, and that the Spirit of God is felt in everything they do. All this makes me believe that there must be "a future with hope" for our Church.

Tomorrow, I will get my first chance to serve on the plenary floor of the conference. I will be sitting by microphone number 12, helping the delegates fill out the paperwork that must be submitted every time they speak to an issue or make a motion. I look forward to getting the chance to see the workings of the conference from that perspective--something that I've been wanting to do for a long time!

Pray for the delegates as they work through a long weekend.

I'm going to bed,

David.

No comments: